Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wanderlust Wednesday-- Desert Southwest Road Trip

Image

Image Source-- Visit her fabulous Etsy shop!

It's no secret that I love to travel. I also every little thing leading up to a trip: the research, the planning, the decision-making, the travel books (that I end up keeping well past their due dates), the anticipation & excitement-- I love it all. Travel is essential to me & I'm always looking for our next adventure.

Aside from a quick trip to New Jersey in June, our next big adventure will be a road trip to the desert Southwest this summer & I can. not. wait. From Texas, we'll head through New Mexico into Arizona stopping at the Grand Canyon, then northeast into Utah, and then over into southern Colorado before heading back home. Here are the on my to-see/to-do list while we're gone.

1. The Grand Canyon

Image

Image Source

Despite it's touristy (is that a word?) nature, we have decided to visit the South Rim of the Grand Canyon because of it's location relative to other points of interest on our trip. Initially, we thought we'd take the time to visit the North Rim (the cooler temps sound soo appealing), but the time it would take to travel there won't quite work with our schedule.

2. Horseshoe Bend

HorseShoeBendWallpaperPaulReiffer1920x1200

Image Source

Is this not one of the most stunning images you've ever seen? The rich colors of the canyon set against that brilliant backdrop? I seriously cannot wait. Speaking of brilliant, did you hear about this? Too, too cool.

3. Antelope Canyon

heart-walkway

Source

This slot canyon is the one stop I am most excited about. Located just outside of Page, Arizona on sacred Navajo land. I'm dying to see it. Torn between the upper & lower canyons (I don't think we'll have time for both), I'm leaning more toward the lower canyon.

4. Monument Valley

monument-valley-11548-1920x1200

Located on the Arizona/Utah border, this region of Navajo land is studded with gorgeous sandstone buttes. I'm looking forward to driving the 17-mile road through the park & taking it all in. I've heard the road is in terrible condition & extremely bumpy, but I can't wait to hear my girl giggle going over the bumps.

5. Durango Mountain Resort

AlpineSlide_web

With all sorts of fun activities to do during the summertime (alpine slide, horseback riding, mining, ziplining, etc),  this place looks like an absolute blast for my girl.

So there you have it, my top 5 to-do/to-see things on our 2014 Summer road trip. What have I missed? Where should we stay/eat? What else MUST we see? Tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment