Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Stitch Fix- What I Learned & Loved From My First Fix





Stitch Fix. Have you heard about it yet?

I have been seeing it on several of my favorite blogs and all over Instagram for some time now and while it seemed like a neat idea, I have to admit, I was very skeptical. It just seemed expensive & I assumed there was absolutely zero way my stylist would be able to choose clothing for me that would fit or that I'd actually like.

I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to shopping for clothes. There aren't many (if any) clothing stores in my small town, so having to drive 'into town' (Austin) to shop, just ups the annoyance factor for me. I also tend to frequent the same stores over & over (and over) again and I'm very budget-conscious. After going back and forth for at least a month or two, I decided to take the plunge.

So, what is Stitch Fix?

In case you're unfamiliar with this personal styling service, here goes:
You sign up for the service & fill out your Style Profile. This is your chance to tell the stylists all about YOU-- your style, your size, your body type, and most importantly (to me): your budget. After that, schedule your Fix & pay the $20 styling fee. You pay the $20 up front, but it's then applied to anything you decide to keep out of your shipment. Once your shipment arrives, you have 3 days to try everything on & decide what you'd like to keep. Didn't love something? Easy. Simply return the items you don't want in the pre-paid mailing bag. Then log in to your Stitch Fix account & pay only for the items you decide to keep. You will receive a 25% discount if you decide to keep all 5 items. Be sure to leave detailed feedback on everything!


So, without further adieu:

    Here's what I received in my first Fix!

{Under Skies Shawn Box Pleat Detail Blouse-- $48}

I absolutely love this blouse! The lightweight, sheer material is perfect for Spring/Summer and I really enjoy it's long, flowy style. I'm a flowy top & skinny jeans kinda gal, so this was a perfect match for me style-wise. Orange tones are my most favorite to wear & the deep coral color is just  gorgeous. The long pleat down the middle dressed it up a smidge, but it could also be worn super-casual with dark capris or white shorts. I really, really loved this top and had it been just a tad smaller, I would've kept it, no question. 

Status: Returned {regretfully}


{Just Black Adora Skinny Jean -- Light Green-- $88}

Holy price point! I've never spent $88 on jeans in my life. These jeans are a cute color, especially for Spring. They're also quite the departure from my dark rinse American Eagle skinnies that I wear at least 3 times/week. Kudos to my awesome stylist, Jenna, because she absolutely nailed the fit on these. They fit perfectly in the waist & bottom (which almost never happens because I have a small waist, yet ample tush) and I love the style. My main beef with these adorable jeans (aside from the price), is that they're entirely too long. I typically wear petite or short length jeans and these are more of an average or regular length. 


I even tried hiding all of that extra fabric by tucking the jeans into a pair of boots. ;)


Status: Returned 

41Hawthorn Yoshi Embroidery Detail Tank ($54)

This top is exactly what I was seeking when I asked for Spring & Summer clothes! This flowy polyester blouse is a stunning teal green with the perfect pops of coral & white embroidery.  I really loved the high-low aspect of this blouse. Definitely my style, but unfortunately this was one was also a tad too big. 

Status: Returned {unfortunately}

Tart Azaria Braid Detailed Tank ($54)

I really enjoyed the stretchy fabric of this tank & the whimsical braid detail of the neckline & straps. Perfect for Spring & Summer! Unfortunately, this was way too big on me. 

Status: Returned

Street Level Houston Small Quilted Crossbody Bag with Chain Strap ($48)

When I first opened up the box, I was slightly annoyed because I didn't want anything but clothing in my Fix. Turns out, I'm super happy they sent this because it's my favorite piece in the box! 
I just recently stopped carrying my gigantic Tory Burch Weekend Tote {gift from a friend, because I'd never, ever spend that much on a bag}, in favor of the sleeker, crossbody style, so this was perfect! I adore the vibrant teal color of this bag, the adjustable gold chain strap, the exquisite stitching, and the zippers. And the lining? Be still, my heart. 

* Cute side note regarding this bag: When my daughter laid eyes on it for the first time, she squealed with delight & promptly begged "I need this purse! I love it sooo much. We can trade or I'll pay you in money! I neeeeed this!"

Status: Kept

What I loved & learned:

I loved how convenient & fun turned out to be! With Stitch Fix delivering beautiful garments directly to my door, I no longer have to travel into and all over Austin in search of something to wear. This saves fuel & my precious time-- score! And if I decide to make a return? Easy. All I have to do is drop it in my mailbox-- for free! Can't beat that. The fact that I can try all of the items on in the comfort of my own home is a real plus in my book, too.

* I love that Stitch Fix forced me out of my comfort zone. If you were to look into my closet, you'd see a ton of black, gray, & burnt orange (Hook 'Em!). Honestly, I only own about 10 shirts total and they're all pretty much the same. Stitch Fix sent gentle pops of color that I love, just never buy. 

* Stitch Fix listened to my wishes. I asked for Spring & Summer clothes and the color palette & style of clothing they sent was spot-on. They also incorporated a few ideas with a pop of color from my Pinterest board into my shipment. I love that! 

Just take a look: 1 & 2 are examples from my Pinterest board & 3 is what they sent:

* I was initially put off by the steeper-than-MY-normal prices of these items, but what I quickly learned is that paying a higher price for a quality item is okay. It will probably actually pay off in the long run! Typically, I'm a Target, Marshall's, & Kohl's girl and while the cost of clothing at these stores is quite affordable, often the quality is lacking. I can't tell you how many times I've found an item at a great price, yet it only lasts me several washes & wears. I then end up having to spend more cash to replace the item, when perhaps if had I spent a little more on a higher-quality piece to begin with, it would last me longer.

So, that's it! My first Stitch Fix experience & review. In short, I loved it and have already scheduled my second Fix. I specifically asked for 5 Spring/Summer tops at a lower price point (<$48). I also changed the sizes on my style profile up a little bit, so hopefully I'll achieve a better fit in tops. We'll see what arrives in a few weeks. 

If you'd like to experience Stitch Fix for yourself, you can sign up here. { <-- that little link there will take you to Stitch Fix via my personal referral code where I'll receive a small credit if you choose to schedule a fix. I'd be so appreciative if you did! }

Also, if you decide to try out Stitch Fix & love it, too, make sure to share your unique referral code with all of your friends and family. Anyone who signs up with your referral code earns YOU a $25 credit to apply to future purchases!

Questions? Just ask! I'll be happy to help.


Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored in any way by Stitch Fix. I simply loved the service and wanted to share my thoughts on it with you. I paid for the Fix & the items I decided to keep from it myself. This post does contain my unique referral link. If you decide to use it, I will receive a $25 credit and love you long time. 


Happy Friday Eve, Friends!









No comments:

Post a Comment